Saturday, October 1, 2011

King Lear's Fool

King Lear’s fool disappears after Act 3 because the fool’s common sense and sound advice so contrast the newfound madness of the king. Because the king somewhat took on the fool as a mentor, he would not want the fool to witness him in such a state; the fool’s presence as well as his advice would cease to help the king at this point in the play. Furthermore, since the king has, in essence, become a fool, the actual Fool’s presence would be contradictory. The juxtaposition of the knowledge of the Fool and the insanity of the king as a fool highlight the turn of events after the third act of the play. The reader recognizes that even the king defines himself as the newfound fool not only through his actions but also his speech after this turning point.

· He himself recognizes that “I am not in my perfect mind.” (355)

· “You must bear with me. Pray you now, forget and forgive; I am old and foolish” (356)

· “When we are born we cry that we are come/ To this great stage of fools” (340)

· “I am even/ The natural fool of fortune”

· “I am a very foolish, fond old man” (354)

· Gloucester “The King is mad” (348)

No comments:

Post a Comment