Friday, September 30, 2011

The Fool: MIA

Although the reader's notes explain that when Lear says, "And my poor fool is hanged", that he must be talking of Cordelia, I am not completely convinced (282). The notes state: “fool (A term of endearment; here, Cordelia. The fool disappears after III.6)”, and while this is true, I think Lear at this point in the play is completely mad, he is confusing emotions and events. He knows Cordelia is dead, but he also had a father-like affection for the fool, and so he could very likely be mixing the two losses together. Lear does not recognize Kent, and he is has suffered from misrecognition (including of himself) throughout the entire tragedy. Later in this speech, he does reference “her lips”, which could indicate that he was speaking of Cordelia earlier, but I believe Shakespeare purposefully employed the term “fool” because it could be read both ways. As a master of puns, Shakespeare, in my opinion, is demonstrating the spectrum of Lear’s tragedy by having him use the word, “fool” in his last speech before his death. I think the fool might have been hanged. The fool might have just disappeared. Either way, the fool is gone from Lear’s life forever, and I believe Lear is coming to terms with all of his losses.

Lear’s fool disappears inexplicably, I believe, to demonstrate another tragic loss for Lear. Lear’s daughters abandon him (actually combat him). Cordelia is hanged. He loses the fool (and like I wrote earlier, I believe he accounts for this loss in his last speech), as well. The fool may have gone mad himself. The fool may have given up after seeing the deterioration of his master. The fool cares for Lear, “Prithee, nuncle, tell me whether a madman be a gentleman or a yeoman” (9-10). This is right before the fool departs. I think the fool can no longer endure Lear’s madness. I also think that Lear does not comprehend the disappearance of the fool until he uses the word in the last speech. This demonstrates a last minute recognition on the part of Lear, which is significant in terms of having a certain sense of coherency right before he dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment