Sunday, October 30, 2011

Close reading

In Letter II, Walton expresses his desire for a friend in his correspondence to his sister. Walton has come across as a resourceful and almost goofy man, but when he explains, "I have one want which I have never been able to satisfy..." as a reader you find yourself feeling very sympathetic (19). The desire for a compatible friend "to participate in my joy... to sustain me in dejection" is a universal emotion(19). it also feels like foreshadowing in this instance. Since I have some prior knowledge about Frankenstein, it seems the emphasis placed on this statement in this letter is and insight and warning. Walton does find a companion, and perhaps his story will provide a further study into the desire for a compatible friend. I do know that I saw this passage as something that will become important as the novel continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment