Monday, August 22, 2011

Blog 1

At first glance, the words “recognition” and “realization” look quite similar. Not only do the two words have eleven letters, start with the letter “r”, and end in “-tion”, both conjure up images of light bulbs brightening as ideas come to fruition. However, as the similar words reverberate through my skull, two separate meanings take form. I find that this question initiates my usual process of first recognizing an idea and subsequently realizing the idea’s importance.

But I am not the only one subject to this predetermined succession of events; as I look around, the thought concretes into tangible cases before me. When I watch my favorite show, Law and Order, I note the recognitions of the detectives as clues are gathered; later, the detectives use these recognitions to come to the ultimate realization – the capture of the murderer, or the criminal, or the lunatic.

As I look back at my favorite novel, The Room, I become aware of the recognitions the main character makes before realizing the importance of escaping her kidnapper. After the protagonist acknowledges the fatal factors, such as her diminishing food, strength, and beauty, she fully comprehends the urgency of the situation and consequently forms a plan of escape.

Through a study of my everyday life, I have come across countless examples of this progression of “recognitions” and “realizations” to find that recognition predetermines the realization, much like a symptom predetermines a disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment